Sunset Prognosis and updates on Broadcast
November 2013-February 2014 season
started on 28th November
There was a lightning strike on 5th December which knocked out the phones
Exterior view from Maeshowe towards Hoy Hills, updated every 10 seconds
to 16:00GMT daily - picture will be black in hours of darkness.
The Orcadian weather page for more details
Orkney Harbours Weather data
Weather page (with satellite pictures and other goodies)....
To get an idea of the weather systems.
- 10 January 2014 Wonderful sunset
- 9 January 2014 Bright then cloudy
- 8 January 2014 Sunny am
- 7 January 2014 Good in morning
- 6 January 2014 Clouded over
- 5 January 2014 Cloudy
- 4 January 2014 Showers
- 3 January 2014 Overcast
- 2 January 2014 Looking good for this afternoon.
- 1 January 2014 A beautiful day for the Ba' - Happy New Year!
- 31 December 2013 Overcast so no sunset today, Happy New Year when it comes.
- 30 December overcast looking good for 2 January
- 29 December 2013 Beautiful day but clouds rolling in from the west
- 28 December 2013 overcast, supposed to clear later, so sunset not impossible, moro looking good.
- 27 December 2013 Wind and rain but possibly clearing from the west
- 26 December 2013 Fantastic day and wonderful sunset
- 25 December 2013 Merry Xmas everyone
- 24 December 2013 Beautiful sunrise and morning rain forecast later along with a small gale that the BBC calls "storm force winds", a sunset possible
- 23 December 2013 Wind and rain moved in before sunset. Exterior camera did not start up, due to faulty Cat6 FTP cable. Replaced and working OK now. Spare cables ordered.....
- 22 December 2013 Sunny right now but cloud in the west
- 21 December 2013 Happy winter solstice, lovely sunrise so maybe...
- 20 December 2013 Phone line working again.
- Lovely day and sunset likely, message from our MSP - Liam McArthur Charles, I saw this earlier in the week and took the liberty of folloŵing it up with BT. I've just had a call from KComm, which is the company responsible for the connection, and they claim an engineer is coming out to fix the fault this afternoon. I'll keep you posted on anything more I hear, but thanks for flagging up
- 19 December 2013 Possible sunset today but sorry folks, BT has still not turned up. Most vexing really.
- 18 December 2013 New camera, etc., installed and working. Good sunset today, all recorded so animations soon. Still awaiting the BT repairman....
- 17 December 2013 POE arrived, setting up new camera at last; overcast but clear spells, some chance of a sunset
- 16 December 2013 Overcast but clearing, hoping new switch will arrive today. Quote from telco "this fault was raised last week with Comms World/Kcom (Ref 45389) and passed to Open Reach. Now unfortunately due to the high amount of faults in the area arising from the weather, this has made Open Reach classify all calls in the area ‘out with reasonable control’ and given the first available date as 20th December."
- 15 December 2013 Overcast and rising wind, rain expected. Hoping that phone people will awaken tomorrow. Beautiful afternoon.
- 14 December 2013 Overcast, still no phone line, sorry
- 13 December 2013 sunshine in afternoon, BT man is expected at last...
- 12 December 2013 Overcast, new camera here
- 11 December 2013 Lovely sunset yesterday, recorded on cameras, will have animation online soon. K-com the telecom provider say line may not be fixed until 20th December
- 10 December 2013 Beautiful morning - no phone line at Maeshowe
- 9 December 2013 Overcast but warmer, new camera ordered, awaiting BT
- 8 December 2013 Phone line still not fixed
- 7 December 2013 Phones still not fixed, overcast, starting to rain
- 6 December 2013 Phone lines still out of action, so no broadcast today. Snowy here
- 5 December 2013 Breezy day with sleet sunset unlikely, phone lines down so no broadcast today. There have been several short power cuts.
- 4 December 2013 Forecast looks good but no clearance
- 3 December 2013 Forecast good possible flashing
- 2 December 2013 Overcast
- 1 December 2013 Some chance of sunshine in the afternoon
- 30 November 2013 Looking like overcast, but some blue sky
- 29 November 2013 Overcast no sunset
- 28 November 2013 Setup, all working, overcast
return to the live feeds page click below